More than 50 percent of people develop stretch marks in their lifetime, yet there is still a stigma to them that implies you are unhealthy. This is far from the truth, as stretch marks can happen for many reasons beyond a rapid weight gain. There are things you can do for the prevention and treatment of stretch marks.
What Are Stretch Marks?
Medically speaking, stretch marks, or striae distensae, are a result of the rapid expansion of the skin. More accurately, it is the dermis or middle layer of skin, that is revealed as stretch marks. Stretch marks usually appear as pink lines that then darken to red, purple, or dark brown, depending on skin color.
Completely natural life situations that can result in stretch marks are:
- Rapid weight loss or gain
- Rapid muscle growth
- Growth spurts, particularly during puberty
- Hormonal changes
Stretch Mark Signs and Symptoms
When the dermis has been stretched rapidly, you may notice:
- Thinning of skin
- Pink lines that turn darker
- Skin may be irritated and itchy
Over time the lines turn a silvery color, as the middle layer, or dermis, reveals the pale fat layer underneath.
Prevention of Stretch Marks
Again, stretch marks are perfectly natural and may happen despite any measures you take, but there are things you can try to allow gradual expansion of the skin, thus resulting in the prevention of stretch marks:
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Consume foods with collagen-boosting ingredients: oily fish like tuna and salmon, dark green vegetables, red vegetables, berries, and more.
- Get adequate daily water intake for your body size and activity level.
- Use oils with natural ingredients to moisturize skin.
Treatment of Stretch Marks
There are no health concerns with stretch marks, so treatment is almost solely for cosmetic reasons. There are ointments and medical procedures you can try, such as:
- Retinoid creams
- Alpha-hydroxy creams
- Fractionated laser therapy
- Vascular laser therapy
- Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) laser therapy
- Microdermabrasion/chemical peels
We suggest safe and natural treatment of stretch marks:
The skin care and body care products available through Trusted Health Products can help skin stay healthy and young looking, and can also be used for the treatment of stretch marks. Check out all of our products to become a healthier you!