Unfortunately, those affected by hyperhidrosis may not be able to afford effective medical procedures and services. Alternatively, they might prefer an at-home natural way to possibly cure it. This article is intended to help those experiencing hyperhidrosis by including ways to treat the condition at home and naturally. First, let's learn a bit more about it.
What To Know About Hyperhidrosis
About 7.8 million Americans are currently living with hyperhidrosis - also known as polyhidrosis or sudorrhea. It commonly occurs among people between ages 25 and 64.
Two types of hyperhidrosis exist:
- Primary focal hyperhidrosis: The person's excessive sweating is the primary medical condition, and is not caused by another condition nor a medication side effect. Primary focal hyperhidrosis is believed to have a large genetic component.
- Secondary generalized hyperhidrosis: The person's excessive sweating is the result of another underlying medical condition, including gout, obesity, Parkinson's disease, pregnancy and menopause. It can also occur as a side effect of medication.
The main difference between primary and secondary hyperhidrosis is that people with secondary hyperhidrosis tend to experience generalized sweating in large areas of the body, including at night. People with primary hyperhidrosis typically sweat from their hands, feet, underarms, groin and face - where a large proportion of sweat glands can be found. They also tend not to sweat excessively while sleeping.
Hyperhidrosis - despite being more common than previously believed - can be incredibly frustrating and embarrassing. Common symptoms include:
- Excessive sweating
- Sweat that soaks through clothing
- Peeling or discoloration of the skin in areas where sweating frequently occurs
- Recurrent cases of athlete's foot and other types of skin infections
- Frequently clammy hands or feet
Understandably, such symptoms can lead to a considerable amount of self-consciousness, social anxiety and overall disruptions in a person's life. People may avoid certain jobs or other activities because of their sweating. For this reason, finding natural, effective, safe and affordable treatments is extremely important to the people living with this condition.
Top 10 Natural Remedies For Hyperhidrosis
Concerned about excessive sweating? While more studies need to be done on the effectiveness of the following alternative remedies, they are generally considered safe and are reasonably affordable to try:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Sage tea
- Chamomile tea
- John's wort
- Excellent personal hygiene techniques including thoroughly washing and drying sweaty areas multiple times per day, and using gentle natural products including diluted witch hazel or apple cider vinegar to reduce the risk of skin infections
- A gluten-free diet
- Valerian root
- Black cohosh
It's helpful to remember that what works for one person with hyperhidrosis may not work for another, and vice versa. It might take a bit of trial and error to determine the most appropriate natural remedy for yourself or a loved one living with this condition.
Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Jacci Larsen is Operations Manager for Ejis, a top provider of sweat-proof clothing to eliminate odor and keep clothes dry. She has 9+ years of experience in public health, and focuses on educating those around her on improving and maintaining their health by promoting healthy lifestyles.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.