There is nothing worse than trying to sleep or work with an aching tooth or gums. The pain can be immense, and it seems impossible to make it go away. However, there are some at-home remedies and ways in which you can reduce the pain and symptoms of a toothache or oral pain.
There is no more need to suffer from tooth pain. Instead, use one of the following remedies to make sure that you don’t suffer more than you should:
- Use A Saltwater Rinse: A saltwater rinse, which is a mix of ½ teaspoon of salt and eight ounces of water, can reduce some of the pain and infection in your mouth. Make sure that you do not swallow this mixture. Instead, swish the mixture around in your mouth before spitting it out.
- Take Pain Relievers: Over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be used to both reduce swelling and relieve some of the pain. Make sure to take the suggested amount in order to feel more comfortable with your toothache and pain.
- Use A Cold Compress: Using a cold compress or ice pack may relieve some of the pain or aching that you are feeling. It may also reduce some of the swelling if you are experiencing any. If you are suffering from swelling, press the icepack against the cheek on the side of your face that is hurting in order to relieve the swelling and numb some of the pain.
- Get Over-The-Counter Anesthetics: Gels and liquids that you can buy at the store may be a good way to reduce the pain and numb the area of the ache. These products contain what is called benzocaine which will numb the throbbing area for a while. Don’t use these too often, however, because they are for short-term use only.
- Apply Ice: By pressing ice against the aching area, you can numb the pain and relieve yourself from some of the toothache symptoms. Simply get a piece of ice, rub it on your finger and thumb, and press it against the aching area or press the ice directly onto it.
- Use Clove Oil: Clove oil is a natural way to numb the pain you are feeling in your mouth. Simply get some clove oil, rub it on the injured or hurting area, or use a cotton swab to dab it. This will numb the area and act as an oral gel for toothaches.
- Take Advantage Of Garlic: Garlic may seem like an odd way to reduce pain, but because of garlic, you can release allicin in your mouth. Allicin is used to fight diseases and decay. While it is not clear whether or not it reduces pain, it does help to make your mouth and teeth happier and healthier.
- Use A Toothache Plant: This plant is something that is grown around the globe and is used in a variety of products. While it has not been proven that it helps oral pain, you can give it a go and see if it helps you, especially is nothing else works.
Looking for a 100% all-natural liquid tooth oil and mouth rinse? Check out OraMD Original Strength and OraMD Extra Strength. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Abigail Wise is an aspiring teacher, writer, and editor. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Education with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as working towards her teaching credential. She hopes to receive her Masters of Arts in English as well as go on to be a full-time teacher, writer, and editor.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.