As COVID-19 restrictions loosen and states reopen across the country, many people are wondering, “What’s truly safe?” Figuring out how to navigate the world and understanding your risks would be challenging enough if we fully understood this new virus. Unfortunately, we don’t. To even further complicate matters, there’s a ton of misinformation out there.
We’ve gathered together some resources to help you tune out the confusing noise and focus on the facts. We hope this information helps you to make confident decisions to protect yourself, your loved ones, and the people in your community.
How Dangerous Is COVID-19?
Scientists are still figuring out exactly how harmful this virus is. Here’s what we do know.
- Most people who catch COVID-19 will have mild symptoms they can manage at home.
- Some people will develop serious symptoms that require immediate medical attention.
- Older people, and people with pre-existing conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, or asthma, are more likely to develop COVID-19 complications.
- COVID-19 is extremely contagious and can spread quickly among communities.
What Should I Do At Home?
You can work to prevent your household’s risk of catching COVID-19.
- Regularly clean all commonly used surfaces in your home.
- If you live with an essential worker, have them decontaminate when they come home.
- Use bulk-buying and delivery services to limit trips outdoors for basics. You can also use deals sites to help you save money on these purchases.
- Stay hydrated and eat a well-balanced diet to keep your body healthy.
- Isolate anyone in your household with symptoms.
- Disinfect all surfaces, linens, and furniture in your isolation room once they’ve recovered. You may need to hire professionals to address your upholstery.
How Can I Go Out Safely?
The country is opening back up, but safety measures are still important:
- Keep a distance of six feet from people outside of your household at all times.
- Wear a face mask to lower your risk of spreading the virus.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and regularly when out in public, and upon returning home.
Many popular ideas about COVID-19 are incorrect. Here are a few busted myths.
- “Only older people are at risk” — People of all ages can catch COVID-19.
- “It’s just like the flu” — All evidence suggests COVID-19 is both more contagious and deadlier than the flu.
- “Children cannot catch COVID-19” — Children can catch the virus, although they appear to be at lower risk of serious complications.
- “X cures/prevents COVID-19” — Although several promising treatments are in testing, there is currently no sure method of curing or preventing COVID-19.
We are learning how to navigate this world safely, but the risk isn’t all gone. It’s vital that we continue to wear masks, practice social distancing, and limit our interactions with people outside of our household. Guidelines may continue to change as we learn more about the virus. Look to credible sources of information for the latest advice on how to keep yourself safe.
Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Sheila Johnson has seen so much personal success with her health and wellness routine after leaving the corporate world and long working hours that she wanted to share it. She created WellSheila.net as a place to not only share her story, but inspire others to put their physical and mental health first with a regular wellness routine and daily self-care.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.
Photo by Kate Trifo on Unsplash