Written By Tony College / Reviewed By Ray Spotts
If you want to burn fat and look good for summer, you have to do something about it, not just think about it. Being inspired to lose weight doesn't burn calories. First, you need to plan what you are going to do. As the saying goes, Failing to plan is planning to fail. Without a plan you'll just do something instead of being strategic. Below are three fitness plans that you can use to get in shape for summer.
If You're A Fitness Nut
To lose weight, you must create a calorie deficit. Therefore, you can lose weight by exercising a lot or by eating different. A combination of both is suggested, which we will get to later, but for those stubborn about their food choices, here is how you can shed points without changing your diet.
First you'll need to evaluate your diet and figure out how many calories you consume per day. From there you can decide what exercises you want to do to reduce your over all calorie retention. For example: if you eat 2,500 calories per day - and your weight is stable - you will want to burn 500 extra calories per day to lose one pound per week. If you want to lose two pounds per week you'll want to burn 1,000 extra calories per day.
Here are some exercises that you can choose from. To the right of them is the estimated calorie loss for a 160 pound person doing the exercise for 30 minutes:
Jogging 5.2 mph (11.5 min mile) 306 calories
Moderate walking 112 calories
Mowing the lawn 187 calories
Fast ballroom dancing 187 calories
Light bicycling 204 calories
Playing basketball 272 calories
A suggested daily routine (three days per week) for this plan consists of:
- Jog/walk for 45 minutes in the morning
- Jog/walk for 45 minutes in the evening
- Two extra times/week do an extra 30 minutes/day of exercise incorporating some of the exercises above or others - it can be on the same day as your normal three days.
Also, if you are a social butterfly, you can go to your local aerobics class or Zumba meetings.
If You Hate The Gym
The gym isn't for everybody. Good thing for us: no eating = no calorie intake = auto weight loss. Changing your diet is the most effective way to lose weight. In what ways can you make your diet healthier and cut down on calories?
Here Are Four Effective Ways:
1. Always eat breakfast. This will get your metabolism going in the morning and keep you from eating too much later in the day.
2. Cut out the junk. Junk food is your enemy. Until you view something as your enemy, you will rarely treat it as your enemy. View junk food as the enemy and get rid of it.
3. Increase your fruit and veggie intake. Fruits and vegetables are many times low-calorie foods. Eating more can cut down calories in your diet and can also help your digestive system. If you are looking to replace junk food with something, replacing it with fruits and veggies is ideal.
4. Drink way more water than you feel like drinking. Put water bottles around your house and in the office. Drinking water will help flush out your system, prevent bloating, suppress hunger, and do many other beneficial things for your body.
A suggested daily routine (every day) for this plan consists of:
- Make breakfast the highlight meal of the day.
- Eat a healthy lunch.
- Eat carbs in the morning and protein in the evening.
- View junk food and fast food as an enemy and treat it like one.
- Up your fruits and vegetables intake.
If You Really Need To Get In Shape Quick
As mentioned before, to lose weight you must create a calorie deficit. Yes, we all know that, but implementing a theory is harder than writing it down. This fitness training plan will implement exercise and a changed diet to burn a lot of calories.
To lose approximately one pound per week, you'll need a deficit of 500 calories per day. To lose two pounds per week, you'll need a deficit of 1,000 calories per day. Depending on how many calories you consume on a regular basis, cutting back 1,000 calories per day may be reasonable, or it may not be.
Here are some practical tips to cut back on the calories:
1. Eat breakfast. Yes, eat breakfast. Eating breakfast will help kick-start your metabolism for the day, which will help your body burn more calories naturally.
2. Cut out the fast food. According to the lead researcher of Harvard Medical School and Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute, Jason Block, teens underestimated the calories in fast-food meals by 34%; parents of school-age children by 23%; and adults by 20%.
3. Exercise - just a 10 minute walk or jog can burn some extra calories. If you want to make exercise a more central part of your plan, walk or jog for 30 minutes/day. If you weigh 200 pounds and jog for 40 minutes at 5mp (12 minute mile), you'll burn an estimated 363 calories.
A suggested daily routine - three days per week - for this plan consists of:
- Jog/walk for 30 minutes in the morning
- Eat a breakfast with carbs (breads, cereals) and proteins (dairy products, meat). It's a good idea to drink a couple glasses of water as well to make sure you are hydrated - especially since you just exercised.
- Pack a healthy lunch for work so you are not tempted to hit the nearest fast food joint
- Take another 15-20 minute jog/walk in the evening time. Not only are you burning more calories, you are conditioning your body to be able to exercise more and therefore burn more calories.
- Depending on the number of calories you want to burn, limit your dinner to a certain amount of calories (400, 500, 600, etc.).
- Get to sleep early enough to be able to wake up before work and do it all over again.
Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral care, skincare, body care and foot care. If you are looking for more health resources check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Tony College manages a weightloss site and works for an investment company.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.