But no worries, at the initial stage, this problem can be eliminated with the help of professional oral care.
A lot of tools have been created that will help prevent an unpleasant, destructive pathology. However, in order to combat the tooth cavity, we need to understand what it is and how it originates. The direct cause of enamel demineralization and the formation of a carious lesion are organic acids - mainly lactic - which are formed during the fermentation of carbohydrates by plaque microorganisms. Caries is multifactorial, and there are many causes of enamel demineralization:
- Microflora of the mouth
- Enamel resistance
- Amount and quality of mixed saliva
- The general condition of health
- Exogenous effects on the body
- Fluorine content in drinking water
Initially, a carious lesion occurs due to the frequent use of carbohydrates and insufficient oral care. As a result, adhesion and propagation of cariogenic microorganisms occur on the tooth surface, and a dental plaque is formed. Further intake of carbohydrates leads to a local change in pH level, demineralization and the formation of micro defects of the subsurface layers of enamel. However, if the organic matrix of enamel is preserved, then the cavity formation can be reversible. The long existence of the focus of demineralization leads to the dissolution of the surface, a more stable enamel layer. The stabilization of this process can be clinically manifested by the formation of a pigmented spot that has existed for years.
Clinical Picture Of Dental Caries
The clinical picture of the tooth cavity depends on the depth and topography of caries. A sign of initial caries is a change in the color of the tooth enamel in a limited area and the appearance of a stain. Subsequently, a defect in the form of a cavity develops, and the main manifestation of the developed caries is the destruction of the tooth’s hard tissues. As the depth of the carious cavity increases, patients feel increased sensitivity to chemical, thermal, and mechanical stimuli. The tooth pain from irritants is short-lived, and after the elimination of the irritant, it quickly passes. If the pain doesn’t go away, it is better to resort for help from an emergency dentist.
How To Prevent Tooth Decay
Modern technologies make it possible to identify and localize carious formations at the initial stage. And it is possible to find them in the most inaccessible places. Therefore, doctors recommend visiting the dentist's office twice a year. It is also advisable to use prophylactic agents – special gels and ointments - that protect the teeth from the formation of a cavity. To prevent the appearance of caries, follow these five rules of oral care:
- Brush/rinse your teeth after eating (especially after fruit acids and sweets as they destroy enamel).
- Brush your teeth twice a day (don’t forget about dental floss) and rinse your teeth with special sprays/mouthwash when you go to bed.
- Visit a family dentist twice a year for professional tooth brushing and general dental checkup.
- Eat healthily. Food affects the development of the different pathologies in your mouth. Proper eating thereby relieves yourself of many problems.
- Lead an active lifestyle. Sports and walks in the fresh air will bring positive emotions, decrease the level of stress, and thus strengthen the health of your teeth.
Dental Caries Treatment
The principles of tooth decay treatment include:
- Elimination of factors that determine the process of demineralization;
- Prevention of further development of the pathological carious process with the help of preventative dentistry;
- Preservation and restoration of the anatomical form of the tooth affected by caries and the functional ability of the entire dentition;
- Prevention of the development of pathological processes and complications;
- Improving the quality of life of patients.
Treatment of caries may include:
- Elimination of microorganisms from the surface of the teeth;
- Remineralizing therapy at the stage of a "white (chalk) spot";
- Fluorination of hard tissues of teeth in case of stopped caries;
- Preservation of healthy hard tooth tissues;
- Excision of pathologically altered tissues with subsequent restoration of the tooth crown;
- Issuing recommendations on the timing of the second appeal.
The treatment process ends with recommendations to the patient on the timing of re-treatment and prevention.
Looking for a 100% all-natural liquid tooth oil and mouth rinse? Check out OraMD Original Strength and OraMD Extra Strength. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Sophie Zoria an independent author with passion in topics that bring value to your life, such as tech trends, marketing, health care, and much more. Welcome to her writer's world: https://medium.com/@sophie_65309
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.