Losing a baby tooth as a child is an exciting occasion but losing a permanent tooth as an adult isn’t nearly as fun. Losing a tooth can harm the aesthetics of your smile and your oral health.
Importance Of Replacing Missing Teeth
Whether caused by disease or trauma, even a single missing tooth can have a significant bearing on your oral health. All teeth are essential and play a vital role in your dental health. They help you to chew your food, speak clearly and show off your smile - and a gap can have serious consequences.
- A visible gap in your smile can be a source of embarrassment resulting in low self-esteem.
- Adjacent teeth can drift into the gap causing misalignment.
- Missing teeth make it easier for plaque and tartar to build up in hard-to-reach places, possibly leading to gum disease and further tooth loss.
- When a tooth is not replaced the bone that surrounded it begins to deteriorate and causes your face to sag.
Recent innovations in modern dentistry make it easy and affordable to replace a missing tooth or several missing teeth, and there are a variety of options available including dental implant surgery, a bridge, and dentures.
Dental implants are a small titanium rod your dentist places in your jaw to mimic the root of the missing tooth. The implant fuses with the surrounding bone and can support a crown, bridge or denture. They look and feel like your own teeth.
Dental implants in Derby can last a lifetime with good oral hygiene practices and regular dental check-ups and are the only missing tooth replacement option that preserves your jawbone and significantly reduces bone resorption and deterioration.
- Look and function like natural teeth.
- Improved self-esteem.
- Enhanced ability to eat and chew and enjoy more of your favorite foods.
- Improved speech.
- Restored facial and bone features because your jawbone is preserved.
- Long-lasting, durable, permanent and reliable.
- Brush and floss like natural teeth.
- High success rate.
A tooth-supported dental bridge is permanently cemented in place and uses a prosthetic tooth or several to bridge the gap in your smile. The healthy teeth on either side of the gapare reshaped and fitted with crowns to anchor the prosthetic teeth.
A bridge can be made from a variety of materials such as porcelain and precious metal alloys or even a combination of materials. Bridges can also be secured permanently with implants, usually when two or more teeth are missing.
- Blends in with the rest of your face
- The procedure is straightforward.
- Re-establishes facial harmony and provides a mini makeover result.
- Restores normal smiling, eating and speaking.
- Long-lasting solution that maintains the structure of the surrounding teeth.
- Withstands the force of normal biting and chewing.
- Easy maintenance.
- Affordable solution for missing teeth replacement.
Full or partial removable dentures are designed to replace an entire or part of an arch of teeth. The prosthetic teeth are attached to an acrylic gum-colored base which sits on your gums. You typically wear them during the day and remove them at night.
A partial denture may have metal clasps that fit over your existing teeth to hold it in place. Full dentures can be secured with a denture adhesive. Dentures can also be secured permanently with dental implants.
- Restores your smile and your confidence.
- Cost-effective solution for replacing several missing teeth.
- Improves your speech and makes eating more comfortable.
- Non-invasive procedure.
- Restores facial volume for a youthful appearance.
Regular dental check-ups and hygiene visits can help to preserve your natural teeth, but sometimes due to injury or decay, you cannot avoid losing a tooth. Your dental team can help you select the best tooth replacement option for your unique situation.
Looking for a 100% all-natural liquid tooth oil and mouth rinse? Check out OraMD Original Strength and OraMD Extra Strength. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Hilton Dental Care is a dentist in Derby, conveniently close to both Derby and Burton upon Trent, England. The practice is fully private and offers routine check-ups, cosmetic procedures, teeth straightening, facial aesthetics and emergency dental care. Follow us on Facebook.