Here are a few problems that can be caused because of overlapping teeth:
- Oral Hygiene Problems
You can’t brush your teeth properly between nooks and crannies if you have crooked teeth, which can lead to bacteria growth.
- Causes Gum Disease
- Causes Bad Breath
Because you can’t brush properly when you have crowded teeth, you become vulnerable to oral diseases, including halitosis – or bad breath - because of the formation of bacteria in your mouth.
- Creates Tooth Wear And Tear
Overlapping teeth can also cause more stress on your jaw line and teeth - and hence cause more wear and tear. This can lead to undue wear and tear of tooth enamel.
- Increases Risk Of Tooth Injuries
When you have overcrowded teeth that are protruding, you are likely to have more injuries or cracks in the event of an accident.
- Increases Risk Of Jaw Problems
Having overlapping teeth increases the probability of getting jaw problems.
- Creates Chewing Difficulties
Overcrowded teeth mean that they might not rub together properly - which might prevent normal jaw alignment and make it difficult to chew.
- Damages Self-Esteem
If you have a crooked smile, you will be more hesitant in smiling, and it is a fact that the more you smile, the less stressed you are.
- Is Bad For Your Overall Health
Oral health issues can be detrimental to your overall health. Studies have shown that gum disease caused by bacteria build up can lead to more serious ailments like heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and pneumonia.
You can get your overlapping teeth fixed with the help of orthodontic treatment. Your orthodontist will give you treatment options:
- Metal braces are the most affordable form of orthodontic treatment and are the fastest way of straightening your teeth into alignment. But they are also very visible, and hence some patients suffering from orthodontic treatment might feel conscious when wearing braces.
- Ceramic braces are custom-made braces that match the color of your teeth to improve the size, color, and alignment of individual teeth. These braces are a little less visible, but they are more costly than metal braces.
- Invisalign is perfect for patients who are conscious about braces and don’t have severe overlapping teeth. These clear aligners will hardly be visible on your teeth, can be detached to be cleaned, but they are also the most expensive form of orthodontic treatment.
The treatment period for your orthodontic treatment might vary depending on your individual case. Later, once the braces are removed, you will have to consider and follow certain factors in order to take care of your teeth. In any case it’s best to consult your orthodontist who can advise you best on how to treat your unique case of overlapping teeth.
Looking for a 100% all-natural liquid tooth oil and mouth rinse? Check out OraMD Original Strength and OraMD Extra Strength. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Dr. Satish Pai is an orthodontist and Ivy League-trained dentist who has served on the faculty at Columbia University. He believes a perfect smile not only makes a person look great but feel great. As the founder of Putnam Orthodontics and a partner at Rome Orthodontics, he is dedicated to providing the best orthodontic treatments to his patients. He also writes to educate people about everything orthodontics and the importance of correctly aligned teeth along with good oral health. In his free time, you can find him golfing, doing yoga or surfing, and spending time with his family.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.