Written By Sophia Young / Reviewed By Ray Spotts
Building a skincare routine that works for you isn’t always cheap. If you're someone on a budget, it's important to find some ways to take care of your skin even when money is tight. There's no reason why anyone should feel self-conscious about their appearance because they don't have the money for expensive skincare products.
The following article will introduce some inexpensive ways to get started with your own personalized regimen at home.
Buy the Best Products You Can Afford
When looking for affordable skincare products, make sure that you buy only those which are high quality and effective. It may be tempting to go cheap in order to save money but this isn't always the best option.
Cheap products often contain ingredients that aren't as safe or effective as more expensive alternatives. In addition, if you use cheaper products regularly over time, you could end up damaging your skin rather than improving its condition.
Think About Your Skin Type
If you want to start taking good care of your skin, it's important to know what type of skin you have before buying any products. For instance, oily skin tends to produce excess oil so it needs extra help keeping itself clean. On the other hand, dry skin requires special attention since it doesn't naturally retain moisture very well.
You can do research about your skin type by reading online reviews and talking to friends who have similar skin conditions. Once you've identified your specific skin issue, then it will be easier for you to choose the appropriate products.
Be Familiar With Different Skincare Ingredients
To build a skincare routine while still sticking to your budget, you need to understand different skincare ingredients and how each one can benefit your skin. For example, niacinamide is a popular ingredient in many skincare products because of its ability to lighten dark spots caused by acne.
Another popular ingredient in the skincare market right now is hyaluronic acid, which helps hydrate and smooth out the skin. These are just two examples out of hundreds of ingredients out there. It's best to do some research on specific ingredients so you know exactly what they're doing for your skin.
Try Asking for Samples or Testers
Asking for sample sizes of different products is another smart way to build your skincare routine on a budget. This way, if the product doesn't work out, you won’t be wasting your hard-earned cash. You also have a better chance at finding something that works because you know how well it performs in comparison with other products.
Try asking for samples from brands or retailers who sell their own brand of skincare. They will often give them away as promotional items when you make an initial purchase.
Invest in Basic Skincare Products First
One of the most popular beauty hacks in the skincare industry is to invest in your basics first. Aside from helping you save money, these items will help keep your skin looking fresh and youthful for longer. Here’s a list of basic skincare products that can help build your routine:
- Facial cleanser - Cleansers remove dirt and oil buildup from your face without stripping away essential oils and nutrients. Choose one with an alcohol-free formula so it won't dry out your skin.
- Toner - Toners are used after cleansing to cleanse pores and prepare them for moisturizer application. They restore balance between oily and dry skin types and help eliminate excess sebum buildup.
- Eye cream - Eye creams are formulated specifically for eye area care. These formulas contain ingredients like retinol or vitamin C which helps reduce puffiness around eyes while hydrating them at the same time.
- Moisturizer - Moisturizers help hydrate your skin after cleansing. The right moisturizer should be lightweight enough not to feel greasy on the skin yet heavy enough to lock moisture into the skin.
- Sunscreen - Sunscreens block harmful UV rays from reaching your skin. Look for SPFs containing UVA/UVB protection because they protect against sun damage over long periods of exposure.
Once you've established these basics, you can add other products later down the road. The key here is finding something that fits within your price range.
Get Creative With Home Remedies
There are plenty of homemade remedies out there that can help treat various issues related to your skin. Some examples of home remedies for your skin include the following:
- Aloe Vera Gel - This plant works as an excellent moisturizer and anti-inflammatory agent for the skin. It also has antibacterial properties, making it useful in treating acne.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Apple cider vinegar helps to remove dead cells from the surface of the skin. The acidity level of ACV makes it very effective when applied topically.
- Coconut Oil - Coconut oil is known to moisturize skin and prevent wrinkles. When mixed with other ingredients such as aloe vera gel or honey, coconut oil becomes even more beneficial.
Looking for 100% chemical-free, all-natural nourishing face and body oils? Check out Earth & Elm Nourishing Face Oil and Earth & Elm Nourishing Body Oil. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral care, skincare, body care and foot care. If you are looking for more health resources check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Sophia Young recently quit a non-writing job to finally be able to tell stories and paint the world through her words. She loves talking about fashion and weddings and travel, but she can also easily kick ass with a thousand-word article about the latest marketing and business trends, finance-related topics, and can probably even whip up a nice heart-warming article about family life. She can totally go from fashion guru to your friendly neighborhood cat lady with mean budgeting skills and home tips real quick.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.