What Is Periodontitis?
Periodontitis is another name used for periodontal disease. It is a common infection that occurs when there is an acute inflammation of the gum, extending to the periodontal tissues. It not only affects gums but can also cause some serious damage to the bone supporting the tooth. Periodontitis starts developing as a result of the growth of bacteria in the mouth and can lead to the irritation of the tissues surrounding the teeth.
Symptoms And Causes Of Gum Disease
It is essential to know what causes periodontal disease. Gum infections occur due to the reaction of the immune system to the multiplication of microorganisms that stick to the tooth surface. Some of the common sources of periodontal disease include:
- Bad habits, such as smoking, which makes tissue repair difficult.
- Poor hygiene due to improper brushing routines.
- Change in hormones. The gums become more sensitive due to hormonal changes in women. These changes happen mostly during pregnancy, menstruation, or menopause.
- Certain medications tend to affect and hinder the flow of saliva in the mouth.
- Health conditions affecting the body’s immune system increase the chances of periodontal disease.
- Poor Nutrition. For example, a deficiency of vitamin C in the body.
There are many symptoms of gum disease that may not appear at an early stage until the disease is progressing to an advanced stage. Still, you need to be aware of other abnormal changes that could occur. Here is a list of the signs of periodontitis to pay attention to:
- Gum bleeding particularly during flossing
- Sore and swollen gums (gingivitis)
- Receding gums
- Mouth odor (halitosis)
- Tender and reddish gums
- Formation of pus between teeth
Risks And Prevention
Periodontal disease has high chances to damage your teeth as well as cause other health challenges. An advanced stage can lead to a number of health complications, including:
- Diseases affecting the heart
- Problems during pregnancy
Untreated periodontitis can result in tooth loss. The good news is that periodontal disease can be prevented. One of the steps you can take towards its prevention is regular and constant brushing of your teeth. Cleaning between the teeth using dental floss is also highly recommended. Another preventive measure is regular checkups with family dentists.
Treatment Of Periodontal Disease
The goal of treatment is to clean and remove bacteria from the pockets around the teeth. This process helps prevent the inflammation and destruction of bone and tissue. There are several ways of treatment one should take into consideration:
If the treatment of gingivitis is at an early stage, you can check out cheap and effective home remedies containing natural ingredients. Home remedies are safe to use, however, you should be careful and pay attention to your health and medical condition. Discover these seven remedies that can prevent future development of gingivitis.
- Bloodroot helps prevent the build-up of bacteria and plaque on the tooth. Some patients at the early stages are advised to use periodontal disease toothpaste that contains bloodroot.
- Green Tea. According to research, green tea contains catechins, which have been observed to be harmful to periodontal pathogens.
- Regular tooth brushing. The average number of times to brush the teeth in a day is two times. Even better if you can brush after every meal.
- Cut down sweets and sugar intake. Overconsuming sweets and sugar-containing food is one of the fastest ways to develop dental caries. If you have a sweet tooth, then you should have them in moderation.
- Use dental floss daily. Using dental floss regularly reduces the clogging of plaques.
- Toothbrush care. First off, make it a habit to change your toothbrush at least every three months. Older brushes weaken in effect and may even harbor germs. One more thing is to choose brushes with soft bristles over hard options. The softer it is, the less damage your gum gets while brushing.
- Dental appointments. Whether your teeth feel healthy or not, take on dental consultations as a preventive tooth care measure. It’s advised to have a visit once every month. The reason is that some periodontal problems could be masked, such as tooth holes. Rather than be surprised by a sudden breakout of gingivitis, you will be informed and get it under control.
Gum Disease Therapy And Surgery
In some advanced stages of periodontitis, surgery is recommended for treatment. For instance, if your oral hygiene is not followed properly or natural treatments are no longer effective, surgical procedures may be needed. The surgical intervention aims to take out the bacteria lodged beneath the gum. The operation can also be carried out to reshape the damaged bones. Some of these surgical procedures include:
- Flap surgery. The method is done mainly to remove the disease-causing bacteria from beneath the gum.
- Bone grafting. In cases where bones are severely damaged, surgical treatments like bone grafting could be used for replacing excessively damaged bones with a graft.
- Tissue grafting. This process is used for replacing lost tissues caused by receding gums.
In addition, patients can undertake periodontal disease therapy. These therapies serve as treatments for periodontal disease. An example of this is deep professional cleaning. Another possible solution for tooth loss caused by gum disease is the use of dental implants, which involves drilling metal frames into the jawbone to align it with the teeth. After the alignment phase, the teeth replacement procedure may be commenced. However, it only serves as a substitute for tooth loss and does not tackle the underlying problem.
Periodontal disease must be treated urgently with proper professional help. As already stated above, failure to do this might lead to further health complications. Maintaining proper hygiene and practicing good oral care are pillars to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Looking for a 100% all-natural liquid tooth oil and mouth rinse? Check out OraMD Original Strength and OraMD Extra Strength. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Sophie Zoria an independent author with passion in topics that bring value to your life, such as tech trends, marketing, health care, and much more. Welcome to her writer's world: https://medium.com/@sophie_65309
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.