Itchy skin can be both uncomfortable and irritating for those who suffer from it. Thankfully, there are some remedies that you can do at home without breaking the bank to try and relieve some of the itchiness.
Itchy skin can have detrimental effects; some that you wouldn’t even think could be caused by itchy skin. Some of these effects include trouble sleeping, anxiety, and depression. On top of all of this, skin infections can also be caused by constant scratching and tearing of the skin.
Itchy skin can be caused by a variety of things, some of these things being bug bits, skin conditions (eczema or psoriasis), allergies, and even stress. Below are some of the best at-home remedies to soothe your itchy skin:
- Use Menthol: Menthol can be found in the form of essential oils and by applying it to the itchy parts of your skin. It can cool the inflammation and provide relief from itchiness.
- Cool Down The Itchy Area: One of the best ways to relieve yourself from itchiness is to cool the irritated area with a cold washcloth or an ice pack for five to 10 minutes daily. This will reduce the skin inflammation and minimize the itchiness.
- Apply Wet Wraps: Simple wrap the dry area in a wet fabric and the water will hydrate and sooth the dry areas.
- Mix Oatmeal Treatments: An oatmeal treatment such as colloidal oatmeal can be dissolved in water to form a paste. Once this paste is applied, it will sink into the skin and provide a barrier on the outermost layer of the skin. This oatmeal has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help to relieve dry and itchy skin.
- Coat With Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has proven itself to be a tried and true skin treatment and it can disinfect the skin and soothe it. To apply apple cider vinegar to a dry area, first dilute it with equal parts water. Avoid apple cider vinegar if you have open wounds or cracked skin.
- Maintain Moisture: Moisturizing itchy skin is crucial because a lot of itchy skin conditions are contributed to dry or dehydrated patches. Creams and lotions can help you to hydrate the outer layers of your skin that are often the cause of itchiness. Use moisturizers that aren’t fragranced and are high in oil for the best results.
- Apply Baking Soda Mixture: Since baking soda is filled with antifungal properties, it can be a much-needed treatment for itchy skin. Research has shown that some causes of itchy skin are contributed to fungal skin conditions. Because of this, it is recommended to add a quarter cup of baking soda to a batch or to water to either bathe in the mixture or apply it as a paste to the itchy areas.
- Avoid Irritating Products: If you suffer from dry or itchy skin, there are some common irritants that can make your condition worse. Some things that you want to avoid include hot water, extreme temperature changes, fragrances, beauty products, wool or other synthetic fibers, and stress triggers. All of these things can worsen your itchiness, so it is best to avoid them if possible.
Looking for 100% chemical-free, all-natural nourishing face and body oils? Check out Earth & Elm Nourishing Face Oil and Earth & Elm Nourishing Body Oil. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Abigail Wise is an aspiring teacher, writer, and editor. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Education with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as working towards her teaching credential. She hopes to receive her Masters of Arts in English as well as go on to be a full-time teacher, writer, and editor.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.