Before getting into whether or not it is good for your skin, it is important to understand what it is in the first place. Lanolin is derived from an oil found in sheep’s wool. It is the oil in their wool that keeps them both waterproof and smooth.
When it is taken from the wool, it is presented in a waxy substance that is great for dry or sensitive skin, especially in the cold months. While lanolin itself appears very oily, it is not known to clog pores, so it can be used by those with acne-prone skin as well.
Because lanolin is so hydrating, it is actually great for your skin and is often used by people in the winter when their skin gets more cracked and dry.
Below is a list of all of the benefits that lanolin can offer you:
- Light On The Skin: Because it is oil-based, many people fear that lanolin will be thick and heavy on the skin. The good thing is that it is just the opposite. Rather than feeling heavy and oily on the skin, it is very lightweight and comfortable thus providing the moisture without that icky, thick feeling.
- Has Healing Properties: Lanolin has a lot of emollient properties that allow damaged skin to be healed through being moisturized and healthy. If you suffer from dry or cracked skin, lanolin may just become your best friend.
- Locks Moisture In: Rather than keeping the moisture on the surface, lanolin goes deep into the skin and keeps it moisturized for long periods of time. On top of that, as stated earlier, it won’t clog your pores.
- Reduces Skin Aging: With its moisturizing properties, lanolin can be used to reduce the appearance of aging through fine lines and wrinkles. Because the moisture is retained within your skin, it makes your skin plumper and less likely to wrinkle.
- Helps With Chapped Lips: In the winter months, chapped lips can become a big problem. With lanolin, you can solve that problem with just one swipe. It has been found that applying lanolin to your lips can leave them soft and hydrated.
Overall, though many people don’t know what it is or what it does when using it, lanolin is actually great for your skin. Because of its oily properties and lightweight feeling, lanolin is one of the top choices for skin hydration during the winter months and beyond.
Aside from moisturizing, there are many other benefits of lanolin as listed above. Because of this, if you suffer from skin aging or damaged and dry skin, lanolin may be the answer for you to feel silky and smooth all year long.
Looking for 100% chemical-free, all-natural nourishing face and body oils? Check out Earth & Elm Nourishing Face Oil and Earth & Elm Nourishing Body Oil. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Abigail Wise is an aspiring teacher, writer, and editor. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Education with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as working towards her teaching credential. She hopes to receive her Masters of Arts in English as well as go on to be a full-time teacher, writer, and editor.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.