TMJ or temporomandibular joint disease is caused when there is stress on the joint connecting the skull and the jaw, affecting its functioning. This joint is responsible for controlling the facial and jaw muscles while eating, talking or moving the jaw upwards, downwards or sideways.
When this joint faces trauma or stress of any kind, you will experience pain near the jaw, neck, head and ears. Grinding of teeth and misalignment of upper and lower teeth also causes this disorder. TMJ disorder treatment is based on what caused it in the first place. Let us understand more about TMJ, how you can identify and treat it.
Characteristics Of TMJ Disorder
Identifying different TMJ symptoms is the first step to begin treatment. Some identifiable characteristics of the disorder include:
- Mild or sharp pain in the jaw muscles during eating/chewing or speaking, with the pain extending to the ear, shoulders, neck and even arms.
- Inability to open the mouth widely or the jaw getting locked or stuck in an open or closed mouth position. A clicking or popping sound when you open or close the jaw or while eating is one of the major signs of TMJ disease.
- One or both sides of the face can swell up significantly.
- You may find it difficult to bite or chew due to the misalignment of the upper and lower teeth caused by TMJ disorder.
- Regular occurrence of headaches, earaches, neck pain, toothaches, hearing problem and constant ringing in your ears.
- In certain cases, some people even face trouble while speaking and pronouncing certain words.
Causes Of TMJ Disorder
TMJ disorder can be caused due to numerous reasons. Some are enlisted below:
- Degenerative Arthritis
- Misalignment Of Upper And Lower Jaw Bone
- Muscular soreness
- Automobile accidents
- Contact sports
How To Cure TMJ Disorder Efficiently
Some of the most efficient cures include:
- Mouth Guard
- Hot/Cold Packs
- Proper diet
When your jaw is already hurting, it is best to avoid food products that are hard in texture. It puts a lot of pressure and strain on the jaw muscles and joint. Opt for a softer diet when there is intense pain and during medication. However, a softer diet doesnt mean you compromise on the nutrition. Eat a well-balanced, yet soft diet. Additionally, drink lots of fluids as dehydration can cause tightness of the face muscles which increase the pain.
Looking for a 100% all-natural liquid toothpaste and mouth rinse? Check out OraMD Original Strength and OraMD Extra Strength. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about oral health, natural health, skincare and natural living.
Shen Chao is part of Dr. Joshua Hongs Smile Clinic. While working for the Smile Clinic, he's gained first-hand experienceinto the questions and concernsthat dental patients have. He has been writing to inform people about various dental topics to help his readers improve their oral health. When he's not working, you can find him on a hiking trail with his dog or having a Sunday cook-out with friends.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.