Written By Chi Whitley / Reviewed By Ray Spotts
Consistent exercise is extremely important to living a healthy lifestyle. However, with people’s hesitancy to return to gyms due to the pandemic or gym’s costs, many are simply choosing not to workout at all.
Not to worry though. There are plenty of home exercises and stretches you can do around the house. Moreover, you don’t need to spend extra money on exercise equipment. A lot of household items from around the house can be used as free weights.
Continue reading to find out more about simple exercises you can do in small spaces and unique alternatives to gym equipment.
The Best Home Exercises
These three exercises can be done in a small space and will help to keep you in shape and healthy. They’re ideal for anyone limited in space, renting an apartment, or traveling a lot.
The military press, sometimes referred to as the shoulder or overhead press, focuses on your shoulder muscles and works out your triceps as well. The military press does require some sort of weight.
You can do military presses with dumbbells, resistance bands, dumbbells, or a weighted barbell. Here’s how to correctly do a military press.
- Step 1: Start off by either standing or sitting. If you’re sitting, make sure the chair has a sturdy back.
- Step 2: Next, lift the dumbbells so that they’re level with your ears. Your elbows should be bent at a 90-degree angle and wrists firm as they hold the dumbbells.
- Step 3: Then, press the dumbbells up while keeping your wrists forward. Breathe out while doing this exercise. Finally, slowly lower the dumbbells down in a controlled manner until your elbows hit a 90-degree angle again.
Dips target your triceps muscles. They also strengthen your front deltoids (shoulder muscles) and chest. To successfully do dips at home, you’ll need an elevated surface such as a sofa or chair. Here’s how to do tricep dips:
- Step 1: Start by sitting on the edge of your chair or sofa.
- Step 2: Then, extend your legs outward with your heels against the floor. Your body should be in a straight line.
- Step 3: Next, while keeping your legs straight and your hands docked firmly against the edge of your chair, lower your body down. Your elbows should go to a 90-degree angle.
Pushups are a classic exercise because they work out your chest, triceps, and shoulders. They also strengthen your abdominal muscles.
- Step 1: Begin the exercises lying down on your stomach. Your hands should be shoulder-width apart and directly in front of your shoulders.
- Step 2: Then, push your body up so you’re in a plank position. Your hands should be directly beneath you. Your body will be supported by your hands and toes. Your spine should also be in a straight line and your head looking slightly in front of the space between your hands.
- Step 3: Next, lower your body down until it almost touches the floor, but doesn’t. Then, take a quick pause at the bottom before pushing yourself back up. Make sure your shoulder blades are pinching when going down.
If you’re looking for more apartment workouts, check out the below infographic from TurboTenant. Within it are unique ways to strategically store workout equipment and household items that you can use as alternatives to traditional workout equipment. You’ll save on space and money!
Chi Whitley is a content marketing specialist who writes for both B2B and B2C companies. Outside of creating SEO-driven content, Chi keeps fit by playing competitive ultimate frisbee, weight lifting, and running.
Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral care, skincare, body care and foot care. If you are looking for more health resources check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.Photo by Maryjoy Caballero on Unsplash