Written By Finnegan Pierson / Reviewed By Ray Spotts
You have a lot more control over your health than you may realize. To see how everyday actions impact your overall health, try using these five completely natural methods that can help you feel better physically and emotionally.
1. Give Your Eating Habits a Reset
The foods you eat play a large role in your physical and emotional health. Food provides the various nutrients necessary for vital biological processes. Changing your diet can help you get more of the things your body needs. For example, adequate levels of vitamin D and calcium work together to build strong bones and muscles.
In addition to fueling your activity, boosting mood and supporting cellular growth, food also affects gut health. Since current studies show that a healthy gut improves health outcomes in a variety of ways, it only makes sense to support a diverse microbiome. Here are four simple strategies that can help you rethink your food habits to promote better health:
- Reduce processed foods: There is pretty strong evidence that eating highly-processed foods contributes to negative health outcomes. Instead of purchasing packaged foods, swap them out for whole or limited ingredient items.
- Cut back on sugar: Try to reduce your added sugar intake. Cutting out sugary drinks can help you take a big step in this direction without limiting your food choices. It is also helpful to remember that not all sugar is created equal. It is perfectly fine to eat fruit that contains high amounts of natural sugars.
- Eat less meat: Animal products are loaded with saturated fats, which are directly linked to chronic health conditions like heart disease. Try to make vegetables and whole grains the focus of your meals while meat and dairy products make guest appearances.
- Reduce sodium intake: Salt may make your food more flavorful, but it can also contribute to high blood pressure and cause excess water retention. You don't want to cut it out altogether, but it is a good idea to try to reduce the amount of salt you add to foods.
2. Spend Time Outside Most Days
Many people are surprised to learn that simply spending about two hours outdoors every week can lead to improved health, but it's true. You don't have to run or do anything else strenuous, just simply go outside and enjoy nature.
So, head to the local park, plan an afternoon hike on the weekend or commit to enjoying your lunch outside each day to help you feel better.
3. Develop a Sleep Routine
Most adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep each night. That isn't an average, either, so you don't want to skimp all week to splurge on the weekends.
In fact, it only takes about four days of insufficient sleep to start seeing the effects of sleep deprivation. Developing a sleep routine can help you feel more rested while avoiding things like mood swings, lack of energy, and lower resistance to illnesses.
4. Get Up and Move Your Body
Do not despair if the idea of hitting the gym fills you with dread. There are tons of fun things you can do that qualify as physical activity. For example, you can take a walk, ride your bike, play disc golf or enjoy some laps in the pool and still get a great workout. It is helpful if you can incorporate some strength training, which helps build muscle and can boost bone density.
5. Learn How To Manage Stress
Stress can eat away at both your physical and emotional health, so it is in your best interest to learn how to manage it effectively. Mindfulness is having its moment in the spotlight and can be done at rest or during movements such as with tai chi or yoga.
Many people also find creative exercises, such as coloring or playing an instrument, are helpful in reducing symptoms of stress. There are plenty of ways to improve your health naturally. Try some simple food swaps, manage stress, increase your activity levels and spend time outside most days to feel better.
Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral care, skincare, body care and foot care. If you are looking for more health resources check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Finnegan Pierson loves business and has a passion for Health and technology. Even more interesting is the combination of the two. As a freelance writer, Finn hopes to influence others so they can have positive life experiences.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.