What Does Superfood Mean?
The term superfood is used to describe those foods that are most beneficial to your health, and even have the potential to be of some medical benefit. These foods contain unusually high amounts of vitamins, antioxidants, and other nutrients that are essential for good health.
The term superfood was first used in 1998. Since this time, the popularity of these types of foods have increased as people realize the important benefits they bring. We know the importance, but how do we know which superfoods are the best for us to invest in?
Try These Superfoods
Various foods have been given the label of superfood, here are just a few of the best. Find the easiest way to incorporate these into your own diet, ensuring you obtain the nutrition you need:
- Eggs Past studies had shown eggs as having too much cholesterol to be healthy, but this isnt the case. By eating eggs you can take advantage of the nutritional value that is there. One egg has six grams of protein, a huge contributor to the recommended amount.
- Brussels sprouts Everyones least favorite childhood vegetable - Brussels sprouts - actually pack a powerful nutritional punch. Find a recipe you like that includes this vegetable. They have been found to contain cancer-combating advantages.
- Apples This is one of the most important fruit to include in your diet. They contain many of the essential nutrients that are needed including vitamin C, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, and fiber. Try not to eat too many of this superfood straight, but instead cut it up first. This will reduce the amount of acidic juice on your teeth, cutting the cavities.
- Salmon Eat right for your heart with salmon and other types of fish. Avoid farm-raised fish and opt for wild caught instead. With enough omega-3 in just three ounces, this food will help strengthen your heart faster than almost any other.
- Avocados For a while people were turned off from avocados because of the high fat content. What they didnt realize was that this fruit is full of healthy fat, which can bring many benefits to your body. It has been shown that those who have a diet high in avocado will have lower levels of cholesterol.
Work to incorporate these superfoods into your diet. Each of these contains high nutritional, and in some cases, weight loss benefits. Find out what you are currently lacking in your diet and use the right superfood to boost your overall health.