While loose teeth as a child is a normal and sometimes exciting thing - because it means you are growing up and the tooth fairy will come - loose teeth in an adult is not so normal or exciting.
When an adult notices that their teeth are loose, this is often cause for alarm because adult teeth are not meant to fall out. While some causes of loose teeth in adults are due to harmless reasons, others require medical care from the dentist. You may even have to remove, replace, or implant the tooth.
So what causes loose teeth in adults? Below are some of the primary reasons and causes for concern when an adult experiences loose teeth:
- Gum Disease
- Tooth Injury
How Can You Prevent Loose Teeth From Occurring?
There are some simple tooth hygiene methods that you can do to prevent your teeth from becoming loose in the first place. These are things that can either be added to your daily routine or accessed very easily.
Below are the top ways to prevent your teeth from becoming loose:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss every single day
- Stop smoking (if applicable)
- Plan regular visits to the dentist
- Wear a mouth guard if you play sports
- Wear a bite splint if you grind or bite your teeth at night
- Take calcium or vitamin D supplements
- Keep diabetes under control (if applicable)
- Be knowledgeable about your medications
Treatments For Loose Teeth
If the methods above don’t work, there are other medical treatments that can treat your loose teeth. Depending on what your dentist suggests, the treatments may include the following:
- Scaling or Root Planing: These are both deep cleaning procedures that can help to reduce the effects of gum disease.
- Medications/Rinses: Certain medications and rinses can help to fight the bacteria and heal infected areas of the mouth.
- Surgery: Surgery may be used to remove any gum that is irritated or any bones that are damaged.
- Bone Grafts: A bone graft is meant to rebuild any bone that was lost if you suffer from gum disease.
- Soft Tissue Grafts: These are also known as gum grafts and are used to prevent further loss for those who suffer from gum disease.
- Bite Splints: Bite splints can help to limit the amount of damage that is caused to your teeth by grinding, especially in your sleep.
If your tooth actually falls out, the possible treatments may include:
- Dental Bridge: A dental bridge is a crown that fits over the teeth on either side of the tooth that fell out. This will connect those two teeth by a prosthetic, making it easier to chew.
- Dental Implant: A dental implant is the implanting of an artificial tooth and root that is surgically connected to your jawbone to hold it in place.
Overall, if you are suffering from loose teeth as an adult, you must first identify what it may be caused by. If you do not take care of your loose tooth in time, it could fall out and result in you having to get surgery, so
seek medical attention right away.
Looking for a 100% all-natural liquid tooth oil and mouth rinse? Check out OraMD Original Strength and OraMD Extra Strength. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Abigail Wise is an aspiring teacher, writer, and editor. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Education with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as working towards her teaching credential. She hopes to receive her Masters of Arts in English as well as go on to be a full-time teacher, writer, and editor.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.