It is always a good time for your dentist to educate or even just remind patients about 10 great things they should be doing as part of their oral hygiene regimen. Here they are:
1) Make it a point to visit your dentist every six months. Even if you think your teeth are fine - and they may also appear that way - plaque and bacteria can still find its way in and need a thorough cleaning.
2) Rinse often. While many people believe that rinsing after a brushing with water or a good all-natural mouthwash is enough, it is really recommended that you rinse after every meal to dilute sugar and bacteria, kill germs and fight bad breath.
3) Keep up on your calcium. Calcium is great for your teeth and gums and helps to prevent bone and tooth loss so be sure to include in your diet some calcium-rich items such as milk organic is the best - organic ice cream, cheese, and yogurt.
4) Brush and floss. It is recommended that you brush and floss your teeth twice a day preferably in the morning and after dinner.
5) Keep up on your vitamin C. Vitamin C is another vitamin that is great for your teeth because a deficiency can lead to problems such as bleeding gums and loose teeth. Be sure to include in your diet vitamin C-rich items such as citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, limes and lemons.
6) Another great item to incorporate into your diet that is also great for producing saliva is water. It not only helps with producing saliva that fights bacteria but also cleans your mouth as well as dilutes the sugars in your foods. Other great saliva-producing foods include lemons and limes again as well as cranberries and cherries.
7) Staying on the topic of foods, hard and crunchy fruits and vegetables such as apples and carrots are also great for cleaning your teeth naturally.
8) Vitamin D is another important nutrient that your teeth need. The best way to get this vitamin is to use the natural suns exposure to optimize your vitamin D benefits. Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun and be careful not to burn your skin.
9) One of the best ways to help prevent cavities and other teeth and gum problems is to stay away from sweets and other sugary foods. Candy is high in sugar and converts to acids in your mouth that lead to decay and bacteria. Again, adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet and staying away from sugar does wonders for your oral hygiene. Some of the best fruits and vegetables for you include apricots, mangos, melons, paw paws, peaches, pineapples, artichokes, celery, cucumbers, leeks, onions and shallots.
10) Another thing to avoid is tobacco which not only stains your teeth but also increases the risk of gum disease and oral cancer.
Looking for a 100% all-natural liquid tooth oil and mouth rinse? Check out OraMD Original Strength and OraMD Extra Strength. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.