Psoriasis is a skin condition that is common for many people. It is a chronic condition that is caused by an overactive immune system. This results in the life cycle of the skin cells speeding up, and the cells building up very quickly on the skin’s surface. These extra scales cause your skin to become scaly and red. The main goal in treating psoriasis is to slow the skin cells down from growing at such a rapid pace.
Symptoms Of Psoriasis
There are many identifiable symptoms of psoriasis that can clue you in on the fact that you have it. If you experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention to prevent it from getting worse. Below are the most common and prevalent symptoms that signify the appearance of psoriasis:
- Red patches of skin
- Skin covered in silvery scales
- Small, scaling areas
- Dry or cracked skin (may cause bleeding)
- Skin that is itching, burning, or sore
- Thick, pitted, and ridged nails or nail beds
- Joints that are swollen or stiff
Types Of Psoriasis
While the symptoms remain the same, there are many different types of psoriasis that can occur. Here are the most common forms of psoriasis that people experience:
- Plaque Psoriasis: This is the most common form. It causes dry and red skin lesions that may be itchy and painful. This can happen anywhere on the body including the genitals and mouth.
- Nail Psoriasis: This can affect your fingers or toenails, causing them to become pitted or have other symptoms. It may also cause the nail to crumble.
- Guttate Psoriasis: This is most common in young adults and children and is triggered by other bacterial infections such as strep throat. It causes scaling lesions on your mid section, legs, scalp, or arms.
- Inverse Psoriasis: This primarily affects the skin found in the armpits, groin, or under the breasts. It will cause a smooth area of red and inflamed skin that is worsened by movement and sweat.
- Pustular Psoriasis: This form is fairly uncommon and will occur in large patches in the smaller areas on hands, feet, or fingers. It develops quickly and can cause fever, chills, and more.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis: This is the least common form of psoriasis and it can cover your entire body with a red and peeling rash.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: In addition to the common psoriasis symptom, this form will also cause pain in your joints that are common with arthritis.
Treatment For Psoriasis
While there is yet to be a cure for psoriasis, there are ways to reduce the symptoms and discomfort. These include topical treatments, light therapy, and systemic medications.
Topical treatments can include creams and ointments that you apply to the affected areas to reduce the appearance and pain that come with psoriasis. Light therapy includes the use of natural or artificial ultraviolet lights to expose your skin to controlled amounts of sunlight. Finally, systemic medications include oral and injected medications that can reduce the pain and discomfort you are experiencing.
Looking for 100% chemical-free, all-natural nourishing face and body oils? Check out Earth & Elm Nourishing Face Oil and Earth & Elm Nourishing Body Oil. Subscribe to our Trusted Health Club newsletter for more information about natural living tips, natural health, oral health and skincare. If you are looking for more health resources make sure to check out the Trusted Health Resources list.
Abigail Wise is an aspiring teacher, writer, and editor. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in English Education with an emphasis in Creative Writing as well as working towards her teaching credential. She hopes to receive her Masters of Arts in English as well as go on to be a full-time teacher, writer, and editor.
Founder Ray Spotts has a passion for all things natural and has made a life study of nature as it relates to health and well-being. Ray became a forerunner bringing products to market that are extraordinarily effective and free from potentially harmful chemicals and additives. For this reason Ray formed Trusted Health Products, a company you can trust for clean, effective, and healthy products. Ray is an organic gardener, likes fishing, hiking, and teaching and mentoring people to start new businesses. You can get his book for free, “How To Succeed In Business Based On God’s Word,” at www.rayspotts.com.