An organization focused on enhancing cardiovascular disease prevention activities is Million Hearts. This national initiative which works with communities, health systems, federal agencies, nonprofit organizations and private-sector partners - has set a goal to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes by 2017.
Million Hearts plans to do this by:
- Improving access to effective care
- Improving the quality of care for the ABCS
- Focusing clinical attention on the prevention of heart attack and stroke
- Activating the public to lead a heart-healthy lifestyle
- Improving the prescription and adherence to appropriate medications for the ABCS
Know Your ABCs To Improve Heart Health
A - Appropriate aspirin use - Ask your doctor if aspirin will reduce your risk for heart attacks.
B - Blood pressure control - You can control your blood pressure and reduce your risk for heart disease and stroke.
C - Cholesterol management - Your healthcare professional can provide guidance to help you lower your cholesterol levels if theyre high.
S - Smoking cessation - Ask your healthcare professional to connect you with tools to help you quit smoking.
Read more about Million Hearts
Learn more at the National Stroke Association